Vitamin C Evidence for Treating
COVID-19 and other Viral Infections
by Magnus P. F. Rasmussen
Acknowledgement - this article has been
produced by the Orthomolecular Medicine
News Service and the mentioned author
and remains their property
For the complete article, please see
Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, Apr 23, 2020
This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License (CC-BY 4.0), a copy of which is available at Creative Commons' website: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode This license permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
List of References:
1. Robert F. Cathcart, M.D, VITAMIN C, TITRATING TO BOWEL TOLERANCE, ANASCORBEMIA, AND ACUTE INDUCED SCURVY, Medical hypotheses, 1981, 7:1359-1376, Vitamin C Foundation.
Link URL: https://vitamincfoundation.org/www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm
2. Sebastian J. Padayatty et al., Vitamin C: Intravenous use by complementary and alternative medicine practitioners and adverse effects, PloS One, 2010; 5(7): e11414 (Epub 2010 Jul 7), doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0011414
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898816/
3. High-Dose Vitamin C (PDQ(r))-Health Professional Version, NIH - National Cancer Institute, Adverse Effects section, Cancer.gov.
Link URL: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/hp/vitamin-c-pdq#_18
4. Markos G. Kashiouris et al.,The Emerging Role of Vitamin C as a Treatment for Sepsis, Nutrients, 2020 Feb; 12(2): 292 (Epub 2020 January 22), doi: 10.3390/nu12020292
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7070236/
5. Melissa Prier et al., No Reported Renal Stones with Intravenous Vitamin C Administration: A Prospective Case Series Study, Antioxidants (Basel), 2018 May; 7(5): 68 (Epub 2018 May 21), doi: 10.3390/antiox7050068
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5981254/
6. The Riordan IVC Protocol for Adjunctive Cancer Care Intravenous Ascorbate as a Chemotherapeutic and Biological Response Modifying Agent, Ron Hunninghake et al., Riordan Clinic Research Institute, 2014.
Link URL: https://riordanclinic.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Riordan_IVC_Protocol.pdf
7. Hemochromatosis and vitamin C, Andrew W. Saul, DoctorYourself.com.
Link URL: http://www.doctoryourself.com/hemochrom.html
8. Sebastian J. Padayatty et al., Vitamin C Pharmacokinetics: Implications for Oral and Intravenous use, Annals of Internal Medicine, 2004;140(7):533-537, doi:10.7326/0003-4819-140-7-200404060-00010Link URL:
Link URL: https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/717329/vitamin-c-pharmacokinetics-implications-oral-intravenous-use
9. Unexpected Early Response in Oral Bioavailability of Ascorbic Acid, Owen Fonorow, Townsend Letter, TownsendLetter.com, March 13, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.townsendletter.com/article/online-unexpected-oral-vitamin-c-response/
10. Exposing the truth about liposomal nutrients, Dr. Thomas Levy, PeakEnergy.com, April 11, 2014.
Link URL: https://www.peakenergy.com/articles/nh20140411/Exposing-the-truth-about-liposomal-nutrients/
11. Shanghai Expert Group on Clinical Treatment of New Coronavirus Diseases. Expert Consensus on Comprehensive Treatment of Coronavirus Diseases in Shanghai 2019 [J / OL], Chinese Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2020,38 (2020-03-01) , doi: 10.3760 / cma.j.issn.1000-6680.2020.0016. [Pre-published online]
Link URL: http://rs.yiigle.com/yufabiao/1183266.htm
12. Shanghai Expert Consensus on Covid-19 treatment, Dr. Cheng, Cheng Integrative Health Center Blog, Drwlc.com, March 21, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.drwlc.com/blog/2020/03/21/shanghai-expert-consensus-on-covid-19-treatment/
13. Intravenous Ascorbic Acid (IVAA) for COVID-19 Supportive Treatment in Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients (Based on use in China and US settings), Dr. Paul S. Anderson, Isom.ca, March 24, 2020.
Link URL: https://isom.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/IVAA-COVID19-Hospital-Use-Anderson-03.24.2020.pdf
14. Role of Ascorbic Acid in Covid 19 Management, Dr Yuen Chuen Fong Raymond, DoctorYourself.com.
Link URL: http://www.doctoryourself.com/role%20of%20AA%20in%20covid%2019.pdf
15. IVC Protocol, Riordan Clinic, RiordanClinic.org.
Link URL: https://riordanclinic.org/research-study/vitamin-c-research-ivc-protocol/
16. Levy TE (2017) A Guide to the Optimal Administration of Vitamin C. Appendix C in "Hidden Epidemic," MedFox Publishing. ISBN-13: 978-0983772873
Link URL: https://d2taktuuo4oqx.cloudfront.net/2019/imm19/bonus/purchase/Thomas-Levy-Guide-To-The-Optimal-Administration-of-Vitamin-C.pdf
17. Medical Information/COVID Care Protocol, EVMS Medical Group, Eastern Virginia Medical School, EVMS.edu.
Link URL: https://www.evms.edu/covid-19/medical_information_resources/#d.en.140202
18. Rationale for Vitamin C Treatment of COVID-19 and Other Viruses, Orthomolecular Medicine News Service Editorial Review Board, Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, Orthomolecular.org, April 3, 2020.
Link URL: http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n21.shtml
19. Preparation of Sodium Ascorbate for IV and IM Use, Robert F. Cathcart III, M.D, Edited 2011 by Owen Fonorow, Vitamin C Foundation, VitaminCFoundation.org.
Link URL: https://vitamincfoundation.org/pdfs/civprep.pdf
20. Cathcart's Instructions on the Preparation of Vitamin C for I.V. Use, vitamincfoundation, February 2, 2011, YouTube.com.
Link URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgi-7xPrCAg
21. Alpha A. Fowler III et al., Effect of Vitamin C Infusion on Organ Failure and Biomarkers of Inflammation and Vascular Injury in Patients With Sepsis and Severe Acute Respiratory Failure - The CITRIS-ALI Randomized Clinical Trial, Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 2019;322(13):1261-1270 (Epub 2019 October 1), doi:10.1001/jama.2019.11825
Link URL: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2752063
22. Vitamin C for Sepsis and Severe ARDS, JAMA Network, YouTube, October 28, 2019.
Link URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3_aYNT1KNA
23. Alpha A. Fowler et al., Phase I safety trial of intravenous ascorbic acid in patients with severe sepsis, Journal of Translational Medicine, 2014; 12: 32 (Epub 2014 January 31), doi: 10.1186/1479-5876-12-32
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3937164/
24. Mohadeseh H. Zabet et al., Effect of high-dose Ascorbic acid on vasopressor's requirement in septic shock, Journal of Research in Pharmacy Practice, 2016 Apr-Jun: 5(2): 94-100, doi: 10.4103/2279-042X.179569
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4843590/
25. Paul E. Marik et al., Hydrocortisone, Vitamin C, and Thiamine for the Treatment of Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock: A Retrospective Before-After Study, Chest, 2017 Jun;151(6):1229-1238 (Epub December 6, 2016), doi: 10.1016/j.chest.2016.11.036
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27940189
26. Eric Wald et al., Hydrocortisone-Ascorbic Acid-Thiamine Use Associated with Lower Mortality in Pediatric Septic Shock, American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 2020 April 1, Volume 201, Issue 7 (Epub January 9, 2020), doi: 10.1164/rccm.201908-1543LE
Link URL: https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/10.1164/rccm.201908-1543LE
27. Vitamin C-B1-Steroid Combo Linked to Lower Septic Shock Mortality in Kids, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago, LurieChildrens.org, January 21, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.luriechildrens.org/en/news-stories/vitamin-c-b1-steroid-combo-linked-to-lower-septic-shock-mortality-in-kids/
28. Tomoko Fujii et al., Effect of Vitamin C, Hydrocortisone, and Thiamine vs Hydrocortisone Alone on Time Alive and Free of Vasopressor Support Among Patients With Septic Shock - The VITAMINS Randomized Clinical Trial, Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 2020;323(5):423-431 (Epub 2020 January 17), doi:10.1001/jama.2019.22176
Link URL: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2759414
29. VITAMINS Trial: Vitamin C and Thiamine for Sepsis and Septic Shock, JAMA Network, YouTube, January 17, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF2ktY00dqs
30. Anitra C. Carr et al., Hypovitaminosis C and vitamin C deficiency in critically ill patients despite recommended enteral and parenteral intakes, Critical Care, 2017 Dec 11;21(1):300, doi: 10.1186/s13054-017-1891-y
Link URL: https://ccforum.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13054-017-1891-y
31. Tae K. Kim et al., Vitamin C supplementation reduces the odds of developing a common cold in Republic of Korea Army recruits: randomised controlled trial, BMJ Military Health, 2020 Mar 5. pii: bmjmilitary-2019-001384 (Epub ahead of print), doi: 10.1136/bmjmilitary-2019-001384
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32139409
32. H. Clay Gorton and Kelly Jarvis, The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing and relieving the symptoms of virus-induced respiratory infections, Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 1999 Oct;22(8):530-3, DOI: 10.1016/s0161-4754(99)70005-9
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=10543583
33. Clare Hunt et al., The clinical effects of vitamin C supplementation in elderly hospitalised patients with acute respiratory infections, International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, 1994;64(3):212-9., PMID: 7814237
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=1994+hunt+c+vitamin+c
34. Imran M. Khan et al., Efficacy of Vitamin C in Reducing Duration of Severe Pneumonia in Children, Journal Of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC), 2014;18(1):55-57, at Journalrmc.com.
Link URL: https://www.journalrmc.com/index.php/JRMC/article/view/381
35. Imran M. Khan et al., Efficacy of Vitamin C in Reducing Duration of Severe Pneumonia in Children, Journal Of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC), 2014;18(1):55-57, at Journalrmc.com.
Link URL: https://www.journalrmc.com/index.php/JRMC/article/view/381/290
36. Ren Shiguang et al., Observation on the therapeutic effect of intravenous large dose of vitamin C on infants and young children with viral pneumonia, Hebei Medicine, 1978,4:1-3., at China National Knowledge Infrastructure, Cnki.com.cn.
Link URL: http://www.cnki.com.cn/Article/CJFDTOTAL-HBYZ197804000.htm
37. Ren Shiguang et al., Observation on the therapeutic effect of intravenous large dose of vitamin C on infants and young children with viral pneumonia, Hebei Medicine, 1978,4:1-3., at Hebei Medical Journal, Hbyz.chinajournal.net.cn.
Link URL: http://hbyz.chinajournal.net.cn/WKD/WebPublication/paperDigest.aspx?paperID=c9874a37-7d84-4d9b-8eeb-07bc95a55d7f
38. Harri Hemilä and Elizabeth Chalker, Vitamin C may reduce the duration of mechanical ventilation in critically ill patients: a meta-regression analysis, Journal of Intensive Care, 2020; 8: 15 (Epub 2020 February 7), doi: 10.1186/s40560-020-0432-y
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7006137/
39. Vitamin C Can Shorten the Length of Stay in the ICU: A Meta-Analysis, Harri Hemilä and Elizabeth Chalker, Nutrients, 2019 Apr; 11(4): 708 (Epub 2019 March 27), doi: 10.3390/nu11040708.
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6521194/
40. Harri Hemilä and Elizabeth Chalker, Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold, Cochrane Database of Systematic reviews, 2013 Jan 31;(1):CD000980, doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD000980.pub4.
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23440782/
41. Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold, Hari Hemilä and Elizabeth Chalker, Cochrane, Cochrane.org, January 31, 2013.
Link URL: https://www.cochrane.org/CD000980/ARI_vitamin-c-for-preventing-and-treating-the-common-cold
42. Harri Hemilä, Vitamin C and Infections, Nutrients, 2017 Apr; 9(4): 339 (Epub 2017 March 29), doi: 10.3390/nu9040339
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5409678/
43. Anitra C. Carr and Silvia Maggini, Vitamin C and Immune Function, Nutrients, 2017 Nov; 9(11): 1211 (Epub 2017 November 3), doi: 10.3390/nu9111211
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5707683/
44. Harri Hemilä and Robert M. Douglas, Vitamin C and acute respiratory infections, International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 1999 Sep;3(9):756-61, PMID: 10488881
Link URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/12811097_Vitamin_C_and_acute_respiratory_infections
45. Sebastian J. Padayatty and Mark Levine, Vitamin C physiology: the known and the unknown and Goldilocks, Oral Diseases, 2016 Sep; 22(6): 463-493 (Epub 2016 April 14), doi: 10.1111/odi.12446
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4959991/
46. iSepsis - Vitamin C, Hydrocortisone and Thiamine - The "Metabolic Resuscitation Protocol", Paul Marik, EMCrit.org - iSepsis Project (EMCrit), July, 16 2017.
Link URL: https://emcrit.org/isepsis/isepsis-vitamin-c-hydrocortisone-thiamine-metabolic-resuscitation-protocol/
47. Paul E. Marik and Michael H. Hooper, Doctor-your septic patients have scurvy!, Critical Care, 2018 Jan 29;22(1):23, doi: 10.1186/s13054-018-1950-z
Link URL: https://ccforum.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13054-018-1950-z
48. Salim Surani and Munish Sharma, Revisiting the Role of Vitamin C in Sepsis. Is it a Forlorn Hope or is there Still Dearth of data?, The Open Respiratory Medicine Journal, Bentham Open, Benthamopen.com, 2019 Dec 31;13:55-57, doi: 10.2174/1874306401913010055
Link URL: https://benthamopen.com/FULLTEXT/TORMJ-13-55
49. Clinical Guide to the Use of Vitamin C, Lendon H. Smith. M.D, AscorbateWeb, 1988.
Link URL: https://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate/198x/smith-lh-clinical_guide_1988.htm
50. Frederick R. Klenner, M.D, The Treatment of Poliomyelitis and Other Virus Diseases with Vitamin C, Southern Medicine & Surgery, Volume 111, Number 7, July, 1949, pp. 209-214.
Link URL: https://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate/194x/klenner-fr-southern_med_surg-1949-v111-n7-p209.htm
51. Frederick R. Klenner, M.D, Observations On the Dose and Administration of Ascorbic Acid When Employed Beyond the Range Of A Vitamin In Human Pathology, Journal of Applied Nutrition, Vol. 23, No's 3 & 4, Winter 1971.
Link URL: http://www.doctoryourself.com/klennerpaper.html
52. Publications by Robert F. Cathcart, Orthomed.com (Cathcart's website), Vitamin C Foundation, VitaminCFoundation.org.
Link URL: https://vitamincfoundation.org/www.orthomed.com/publications1.html
53. The Clinical Impact of Vitamin C: My Personal Experience as a Physician, Thomas E. Levy, Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, Orthomolecular.org, September 3, 2014.
Link URL: http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v10n14.shtml
54. Richard Z. Cheng, Can early and high intravenous dose of vitamin C prevent and treat coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)?, Medicine in Drug Discovery, 2020 March 26, doi: 10.1016/j.medidd.2020.100028
Link URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590098620300154
55. Safe and Effective Modalities For COVID-19 That Can Not Be 'Proven'", Dr. Charles Chun-En Hsu, M.D, Afternoon Health, April 1, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.afternoonhealth.com/2020/04/01/safe-effective-modalities-for-covid-19-that-can-never-be-proven/
56. Successful High-Dose Vitamin C Treatment of Patients with Serious and Critical COVID-19 Infection, Richard Cheng PhD, Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, March 18, 2020.
Link URL: http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n18.shtml
57. How to Get Intravenous Vitamin C Given to a Hospitalized Patient: A Checklist, Andrew W. Saul, DoctorYourself.com, 2019.
Link URL: http://www.doctoryourself.com/strategies.html
58. Colds, Flus and COVID-19: Can Supplements Help?, Prof Kylie O'Brien PhD and Prof Ian Brighthope, Australasian College Of Nutritional And Environmental Medicine (ACNEM), ACNEM.org, 2020.Link URL:
Link URL: https://www.acnem.org/sites/default/files/pdf/2020/Key%20Supplements%20for%20Protecting%20Against%20&%20Treating%20Colds,%20Flus%20&%20COVID-19.pdf
59. Colds, Flus and COVID-19: Can Supplements Help?, Prof Kylie O'Brien PhD and Prof Ian Brighthope, Australasian College Of Nutritional And Environmental Medicine (ACNEM), ACNEM.org, 2020. - This is a placeholder since the page is currently restricted.
Link URL: https://www.acnem.org/videos/Supplements-Flus-COVID-19
60. STOP ARDS NOW WITH ASCORBIC ACID, Doris Loh, Evolutamente.it, March 28, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.evolutamente.it/stop-ards-now-with-ascorbic-acid/
61. MITOCHONDRIA & THE CORONAVIRUS - THE VITAMIN C CONNECTION (PART 3), Doris Loh, Evolutamente.it, February 1, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.evolutamente.it/mitochondria-the-coronavirus-the-vitamin-c-connection-part-3/
62. COVID-19, FURINS & HYPOXIA - THE VITAMIN C CONNECTION, Doris Loh, Evolutamente.it, February 29, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.evolutamente.it/covid-19-furins-cancer-a-tale-of-vitamin-c-hif/
63. COVID-19 MUTATIONS, VACCINES & NITRIC OXIDE - THE VITAMIN C CONNECTION, Doris Loh, Evolutamente.it, March 7, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.evolutamente.it/covid-19-mutations-vaccines-nitric-oxide-the-vitamin-c-connection/
64. COVID-19, PNEUMONIA & INFLAMMASOMES - THE MELATONIN CONNECTION, Doris Loh, Evolutamente.it, March 14, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.evolutamente.it/covid-19-pneumonia-inflammasomes-the-melatonin-connection/
65. COVID-19, ARDS & CELL-FREE HEMOGLOBIN - THE ASCORBIC ACID CONNECTION, Doris Loh, Evolutamente.it, March 24, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.evolutamente.it/covid-19-ards-cell-free-hemoglobin-the-ascorbic-acid-connection/
66. Vitamin C the Miracle Swine Flu Cure - 60 minutes Living Proof, LivLong, YouTube, January 8, 2019.
Link URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au-mp6RZjCQ&feature=youtu.be
67. NZ Farmer Beats Swine Flu with Vitamin C, Food Matters, YouTube, November 9, 2010.
Link URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GApXBaZuw14&feature=youtu.be
68. Alpha A. Fowler et al., Intravenous vitamin C as adjunctive therapy for enterovirus/rhinovirus induced acute respiratory distress syndrome, World Journal of Critical Care Medicine, 2017 Feb 4; 6(1): 85-90 (Epub 2017 February 4), doi: 10.5492/wjccm.v6.i1.85
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5295174/
69. Covid-19 and Vitamin D Information, Dr Gareth Davies (PhD), Dr Joanna Byers (MBChB), Dr Attila R Garami (MD, PhD), Google Docs.
Link URL: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jffdZOSuIA64L_Eur8qyCQ12T7NXrHSKPxtMe134C0Y/edit
70. Former CDC Chief. Dr. Tom Frieden: Coronavirus infection risk may be reduced by Vitamin D, Op-ed by Tom Frieden, M.D, Fox News, March 2020.
Link URL: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/former-cdc-chief-tom-frieden-coronavirus-risk-may-be-reduced-with-vitamin-d
71. Harri Hemilä and Pekka Louhiala, Vitamin C may affect lung infections, Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 2007 Nov; 100(11): 495-498, doi: 10.1258/jrsm.100.11.495
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2099400/
72. Harri Hemilä and Pekka Louhiala, Vitamin C for preventing and treating pneumonia, Cochrane Database Systematic Review, 2013 Aug 8;(8):CD005532, doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD005532.pub3.
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23925826/
73. Won-Young Kim et al., Combined vitamin C, hydrocortisone, and thiamine therapy for patients with severe pneumonia who were admitted to the intensive care unit: Propensity score-based analysis of a before-after cohort study, Journal of Critical Care, 2018 Oct;47:211-218 (Epub 2018 July 5). doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2018.07.004
Link URL: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0883944118307780
74. Yin Li and Guoping Li., Is Vitamin C Beneficial to Patients with CAP, Current Infectious Disease Reports, 2016 Aug;18(8):24. doi: 10.1007/s11908-016-0530-0.
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27363830
75. Jaykaran Charan et al., Vitamin D for prevention of respiratory tract infections: A systematic review and meta-analysis, Journal of Pharmacology & Pharmacotherapeutics, 2012 Oct-Dec; 3(4): 300-303, doi: 10.4103/0976-500X.103685
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3543548/
76. Pramath Kakodkar et al., A Comprehensive Literature Review on the Clinical Presentation, and Management of the Pandemic Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Cureus, Cureus 12(4): e7560, 2020 April 6, doi: 10.7759/cureus.7560
Link URL: https://www.cureus.com/articles/29670-a-comprehensive-literature-review-on-the-clinical-presentation-and-management-of-the-pandemic-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19
77. Case for Vitamin C for COVID-19, Patrick Halford, PatrickHolford.com, Mar 29, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.patrickholford.com/blog/case-vitamin-c-covid-19
78. Rui Zhang et al., COVID-19: Melatonin as a potential adjuvant treatment, Life Sciences, 2020 June 1; 250: 117583 (Epub 2020 March 23), doi: 10.1016/j.lfs.2020.117583
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7102583/
79. COVID-19, ARDS & CYTOKINE STORMS - THE RECYCLING OF ASCORBIC ACID BY MACROPHAGES, NEUTROPHILS AND LYMPHOCYTES, Doris Loh, Evolutamente.it, April 5, 2020.
Link URL: https://www.evolutamente.it/covid-19-ards-cytokine-storms-the-recycling-of-ascorbic-acid-by-macrophages-neutrophils-and-lymphocytes/
80. Michael A. Matthay et al., Treatment of severe acute distress syndrome from COVID-19, The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, 2020 March 20, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30127-2
Link URL: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30127-2/fulltext
81. Coronavirus Coverup - Vitamin C Dramatic Help against Infection in China, South Korea - Why Aren't We Told, Mara Leverkuhn, Medium.com, March 17, 2020.
Link URL: https://medium.com/@MaraLeverkuhn/vitamin-c-dramatically-helps-against-coronavirus-infection-romanian-biophysicist-2341dc7e7a38
82. BRIGHTHOPE CORONAVIRUS SHARE GENERAL, Dr. Ian Brighthope, available at Dropbox.com.
Link URL: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/grh9r2srqqpqtzw/AAC5rEoVb4XTP-uViXZkrJFWa?dl=0
83. Ping Chang et al., Combined treatment with hydrocortisone, vitamin C, and thiamine for sepsis and septic shock (HYVCTTSSS): A randomized controlled clinical trial, Chest, 2020 Mar 31. pii: S0012-3692(20)30552-3, doi: 10.1016/j.chest.2020.02.065.
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32243943
84. Overview of planned or ongoing studies of drugs for the treatment of COVID-19, Danish Medicines Agency, Laegemiddelstyrelsen.dk.
Link URL: https://laegemiddelstyrelsen.dk/da/nyheder/temaer/ny-coronavirus-covid-19/~/media/5B83D25935DF43A38FF823E24604AC36.ashx
85. ZhiYong Peng, Vitamin C Infusion for the Treatment of Severe 2019-nCoV Infected Pneumonia, Date of registration: February 11, 2020, ClinicalTrials.gov.
Link URL: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04264533
86. Jun Lin, A randomized, open, controlled trial for diammonium glycyrrhizinate enteric-coated capsules combined with vitamin C tablets in the treatment of common novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) in the basic of clinical standard antiviral treatment to evaluate the safety and efficiency, Date of registration: February 12, 2020, Chinese Clinical Trial Registry, Chictr.org.cn.
Link URL: http://www.chictr.org.cn/showprojen.aspx?proj=49131
87. Gao Defeng, An observational study of high-dose Vitamin C in the treatment of severe and critical patients with novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19), Date of registration: February 17, 2020, Chinese Clinical Trial Registry, Chictr.org.cn.
Link URL: http://www.chictr.org.cn/showprojen.aspx?proj=49633
88. Gao Defeng, A randomized controlled trial for high-dose Vitamin C in the treatment of severe and critical novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) patients, Date of registration: February 24, 2020, Chinese Clinical Trial Registry, Chictr.org.cn.Link URL:
Link URL: http://www.chictr.org.cn/showprojen.aspx?proj=50002
89. Salvatore Corrao, Use of Ascorbic Acid in Patients With COVID 19, Date of registration: March 26, 2020, ClinicalTrials.gov.
Link URL: https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04323514
90. Markos. G. Kashiouris and Alpha A. Fowler, Early Infusion of Vitamin C for Treatment of Novel COVID-19 Acute Lung Injury (EVICT-CORONA-ALI), Date of registration: April 14, 2020, ClinicalTrials.gov.
Link URL: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04344184
91. Three Intravenous Vitamin C Research Studies Approved for Treating COVID-19, Andrew W. Saul, February 21, 2020, Orthomolecular.org.
Link URL: http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v16n12.shtml
92. Adnan Erol, High-dose intravenous vitamin C treatment for COVID-19, preprint (not yet peer reviewed), 2020 February, doi: 10.31219/osf.io/p7ex8.
Link URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/339511104_High-dose_intravenous_vitamin_C_treatment_for_COVID-19
93. Mihnea Zdrenghea et al., Vitamin D modulation of innate immune responses to respiratory viral infections, Reviews in Medical Virology, 2017 Jan;27(1) (Epub 2016 Oct 7), doi: 10.1002/rmv.1909
Link URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308946447_Vitamin_D_modulation_of_innate_immune_responses_to_respiratory_viral_infections
94. Xiaojiao Zheng, et al., TRIM25 Is Required for the Antiviral Activity of Zinc Finger Antiviral Protein, Journal of Virology, May 1, 2017; 91(9): e00088-17, (Epub: 2017 April 13), doi: 10.1128/JVI.00088-17
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5391446/
95. Nidhi Kaushik, et al., Zinc: A Potential Antiviral Against Hepatitis E Virus Infection?, DNA and Cell Biology, 2018 Jul;37(7):593-599 (Epub 2018 June 13), doi: 10.1089/dna.2018.4175
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29897788
96. S. A. Read et al., The antiviral role of zinc and metallothioneins in hepatitis C infection, Journal of Viral Hepatitis, 2018 May;25(5):491-501, doi: 10.1111/jvh.12845
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29239069
97. Aartjan J. W. te Velthuis et al., Zn2+ Inhibits Coronavirus and Arterivirus RNA Polymerase Activity In Vitro and Zinc Ionophores Block the Replication of These Viruses in Cell Culture, PLoS Pathogens, 2010 Nov; 6(11): e1001176 (Epub: 2010 Nov 4), doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1001176
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2973827/
98. Jing Xue, et al., Chloroquine is a Zinc Ionophore, PLoS One, 2014; 9(10): e109180 (Epub: 2014 Oct 1), doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0109180
Link URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4182877/
99. Husam Dabbagh-Bazarbachi et al., Zinc Ionophore Activity of Quercetin and Epigallocatechin-gallate: From Hepa 1-6 Cells to a Liposome Model, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2014, 62, 32, 8085-8093, doi.org/10.1021/jf5014633
Link URL: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jf5014633
100. Martin Scholtz and Roland Derwan, Does Zinc Supplementation Enhance the Clinical Efficacy of Chloroquine/Hydroxychloroquine to Win Todays Battle Against COVID-19?, preprints (not peer yet reviewed) 2020 April 8, doi: 10.20944/preprints202004.0124.v1
101. Published Research and Articles on Vitamin C as a Consideration for Pneumonia, Lung Infections, and the Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19), Graham Player, PhD et al., March 22, 2020, Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, Orthomolecular.org.